Website navigation, look, and feel are important when thinking about creating an engaging website.
- A user needs to be able to identify what the site is about, how to find information, and contact you. The layout needs to be simple, clear and well structured.
- Another important often overlooked factor is page speed, this is essentially the time it takes for your website pages to load when a user clicks on them. You may think that 8-10 seconds is not a long time for a page to load, but for the end-user this becomes a clunky and often frustrating experience. Nowadays websites load very fast in a matter of a few seconds, so additional seconds can make a difference.
- The spaces on your website need to be utilised, a site that has many gaps and white spaces is wasted real estate, and can also make your site sparce, and limited.
- When thinking about the look and feel of your site – the color palette is very important, too many colours that clash with each other can cause confusion, and you may lose the prestige around the site.
- The text needs to be in clean easily readable fonts, anything that is overly fancy with accentuated curves may not work as well as simple fonts.
- There should also be a visual element to your site such as images or videos that are relevant to your product or service offering.
- Finally, the site needs to be responsive, and display across a number of devices and adjust accordingly so that the layout isn’t clunky when displaying.